Citrus fruits are packed with Vitamin C, are great for boosting the immune system and are high in fibre which is great for gut heath. Ours drinks menu wouldn’t be complete without a twist of lemon, lime or orange.
Rickys bar manager Rohan has some great tips on using citrus fruits in cocktails, juices or mineral water. His citrus picks are lemons, limes, grapefruits and tangerines.
Rohan’s Citrus Tips
- Go organic! Buy organic citrus to get the most flavour out of your fruit.
- Check for shiny peel on the fruit. The shinier and smoother the skin, the more juice inside. And the heavier the better.
- Check the colour of the fruit for brightness and vibrancy. A fully ripened citrus fruit will have reached the fullness of its colour. Dull looking fruit can indicate over ripeness.
- Leave the fruit out of the fridge as room temperature fruit is easier to squeeze.
- Roll the fruit out on a bench before squeezing to loosen up the juice inside.
- Cut the ends off the fruit to remove any bitterness from the stems before cutting the fruit in half to squeeze.
- Strain out the pulp if you are squeezing enough for a margarita party! It helps preserve the juice.
- When using citrus, you must always taste before serving, as the levels of acid can change a lot! A little added sugar syrup can help if a Mojito is too tart.